Tuesday 15 December 2009

What a swell party this is!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKYR4FaKck

I want to hate this advert - I really do. I want to loathe it and make witty comments about them choking on their duck rolls and chocolate coated strawberries.

But I can't. I just can't.

It's like hating the class dunce: he's probably trying his heart out and he'd never be cruel or unkind to anyone. Simply, it's not his fault he's thick as soup. When you get Coleen Nolan and Jason Donovan - two people who haven't been famous for over 100 years - representing your brand singing "What a swell party this is" very badly, you can hardly be accused of any meanness.

Donovan sounds like he's never actually held a note in his life and Nolan has surely only been selected as the jolly, big-bosomed, yo-yoing replacement for the hapless Kerry Katona.

Iceland seems to have made a virtue out of being cheap and cheerful - or cheap and nasty if you take into account their inexpensive frozen fodder (I'm sorry, £5 for an entire platter of prawns!!) - and that's exactly what this advert is: The thick kid in the class.

All the high tech, popular kids would look down at it, the I-phone advert would sneer at it; the American Airlines advert would look down its nose at it; and Peter Jones would kick it as he skated past on his stupid shopping trolly.

But it's so hopeless I can't find it in my heart to hate it.

No comments: