Wednesday 27 January 2010

A night time adventure

I am going to take you back, way back, to Monday 11th January at 4am, what were you doing? Sleeping, snoring, having inappropriate dreams?

Usually me too, but on this particular occasion I was standing on a street corner, in my jammies, in the snow.

Why?

Well....

When we booked our Scotland trip we decided it would be fun to stay overnight in Newcastle on the way up. On arrival at the hotel, we travelled in the smallest lift in the world, and settled down to a pleasant evening in the bar. We stumbled off to bed around midnight and quickly fell into a deep slumber.

At 3.10am the fire alarm went off, loudly, it then stopped. Being the conscientious people that we are, we felt the floor, found it wasn't hot, and went back to sleep.

Five minutes later it goes again then stops. This happens intermittently for the next 30 minutes until it suddenly turns into a constant blare. We ring reception and are told that, although it is the building next door, we need to evacuate.

So we do.

We stand in the snow for 40 minutes, me clutching a bag holding Kitty, my favourite childhood (.... and adulthood) cuddly toy, Steve making fun of me because that is what I grabbed in the three minutes we had to get out, not my phone or purse.

My jammies and slippers on said evening - do you like the pink polka dots?

By 4.30am we had trudged back up to our room, I got straight back into bed and to sleep; Steve felt the need to unwind and turned the TV on.

Which is when he saw the best thing ever....

Sign language interpreters were signing pop songs!

Can you imagine anything more brilliant?

No comments: